Since we launched months ago SiteCondor has collected a bunch of data. We’ve been crunching some numbers and thought we’d share the results with you.
- We found at least one redirect (301 or 302) in 80% of our jobs.
- We found at least one missing resource (404 error) in 66% of our jobs.
- We found at least one other error (time out, forbidden, etc) in 41% of our jobs.
When aggregated SiteCondor encountered one of the situations listed above in 89% of the jobs.
- 88% of the jobs had at least 1 image with no alternate text in the markup.
- 81% of the jobs had at least 1 page with missing meta description.
- 77% of the jobs had at least 1 page with a URL too long, or containing at least 1 non-ASCII, underscore, or uppercase character.
- 74% of the jobs had at least 1 page title being too long.
- 72% of the jobs had at least 1 page with missing H1 headings.
- 66% of the jobs had at least 1 page with meta descriptions being too long.
- 57% of the jobs had at least 1 page with multiple H1 headings.
- 31% of the jobs had at least 1 page with no title.
Resources & Pages
Overall, 98% of our jobs had at least one of the issues in the lists above.
- 38% of the sites used some sort of Structured Data (Open Graph, Twitter Cards, or Micro Formats)
- 31% of the sites used Google Authorship.
While this is obviously limited to the universe of sites crawled by SiteCondor at the time they were crawled, we believe these results are pretty interesting. We can summarize the results with the following statement:
98% of the times, SiteCondor will find at least one issue worth fixing with your site.
Some of these are false positives (e.g.: pages that really don’t need a title, images that don’t need an alternate text, redirects that are meant and are there to stay, etc.)… so YMMV, but we still think that 98% is a pretty solid number. What do you think?